Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
Making instant pot bbq chicken sandwiches from frozen or fresh chicken is one of the easiest instant pot dinner recipes ever! We love making these delicious sandwiches on a weeknight or weekday for dinner.
I used to love cooking meals in the crockpot but I cannot tell you how many times I would buy all the ingredients for a crockpot dinner only to go about my day and completely forget to put everything into the crock pot until dinner time was fast approaching.
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken From Frozen or thawed chicken
One of my favorite parts about cooking with an Instant Pot is the ability to get a meal on the table using frozen meat.
This recipe can be made using frozen chicken or thawed chicken. Just set the pressure cooker cook time for 45 minutes if frozen, 30 minutes if not.
Instant Pot BBQ Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Sandwiches Ingredients:
For the Shredded Chicken
- 4 Chicken Thighs (bone-in, skin on)
- 18 oz BBQ Sauce
- Dry Rub, to taste
- 1 medium Red Onion
- 1 c. Mushrooms, sliced
For the Sandwiches
- Ciabatta Rolls
- 1 medium Avocado
- Muenster Cheese
Directions for Easy BBQ Chicken in your Instant Pot:
- Pour half of the BBQ sauce into the bottom of the inner pot.
- Place chicken thighs on top of BBQ sauce.
- Season the chicken with dry rub if desired.
- Cover chicken thighs with mushrooms, red onions, and remaining BBQ sauce.
- Cover and seal the Instant Pot. Pressure cook on “High/Manual” for 30 minutes if chicken is thawed and 45 minutes if chicken is frozen.
- Once the Instant Pot is done pressure cooking, quick release the pressure.
- Hit cancel on the Instant pot and switch the setting on the Instant Pot to sauté.
- Using a large wooden spoon, remove the chicken thighs from the Instant Pot and set aside. Using the same wooden spoon deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot. (Switching to sauté will heat up the bottom of the pressure cooker and the allow the liquid of the BBQ sauce to help you get all the bits off the bottom.)
- Meanwhile, remove the skin and bone from each thigh and return the meat to the Instant Pot.
- Allow the Instant Pot to sauté, stirring constantly, until the excess liquid has boiled off.
- Assemble your sandwiches with sliced avocado on the bottom bun, then add your bbq chicken and then cheese before adding the top bun. Serve and enjoy!
step by step pictures for the BBQ Chicken in the Instant Pot:
I hope you enjoy these Instant Pot BBQ chicken sandwiches and make it a great family meal!
First shared in 2019. Updated for 2021. Still a hit!