Mother's Day is just around the corner so it is time to plan some crafts for the kids to make mom. These Shrinky Dink Ideas for Mother's Day will make the perfect keepsake gift for momma, grandma, aunts and anyone on your gift giving list. We love shrinky dinks, in fact be sure to read through my Shrinky Dinks Tips and Tricks article before you start.
My kids don't need a holiday as an excuse to whip up some fun handmade items using shrink film but it is a great material for homemade gifts . We have done a lot of trial and error and have our routine pretty down pat.
Here are some of our previous shrinky dinks kindness gifts that were made for a kindness challenge project. They would be such fun to give on Mother's Day too though!
We made shrinky dinks BFF bracelets, a shrinky dinks zipper pull and shrinky dinks bookmarks.
The possibilities really are endless though!
If you still need any supplies, here are our favorites, using our referral partner Amazon links for our go-to shrinky dinks supplies:
- Original Shrinky Dinks are pretty common
- But this Bulk Pack of Shrink Film work well and have lasted us a long time
- We use Sharpey permanent marker for outlines and coloring (Markers darken when you bake shrinky dinks so I love this Sharpie pack which has lighter pastel colors.)
- At least one Hole punch but ideally have various sizes are a must for things like keychains or earrings. My favorite hole punch has silicone handles, which is nice when trying to punch through something thick like shrinky dinks.
- Nowadays you can get a whole Shrinky Dinks Jewelry Making Kit, complete with jump rings and keychains.
- Jump rings for keychains, necklaces or earrings
- Key ring packs
- Good scissors
- parchment paper
- baking sheet
- Flat spatula
- This Brand of Gloss Acrylic Paint and Mod Podge if doing handprints (paint is not recommended except in this instance.
Shrinky Dink Projects for Mother's Day
These are all such fun Mother's Day Crafts! Look through the ideas below for a detailed tutorial for each handmade gift below please click the link.
Mother's Day Shrinky Dinks Keychain Ideas
There are so many cute ideas for Mother's Day Keychains, and the one you think of right away is making a handprint keychain.
Handprints are tricky on shrinky dink paper because there are not many art supplies you can use on your kiddo's hands that can also be used on shrinky dinks. The method we follow using a sealant, with really helpful, detailed instructions is this DIY Shrinky Dink Handprint Keychain Tutorial although see my tip below.
Handprint Keychain Tip: Do not cut between the fingers. Leaving it as a solid shape will help it shrink better and result in fewer chances to stick to itself. Also the individual fingers get caught on things in your purse or pocket, while a smooth, solid shape will not.
Other Shrinky Dink Keychain Ideas:
- Butterfly Handprint Shrinky Dinks uses both hands.
- M-O-M Handprint Keychain uses a handprint for the O.
- Butterfly Footprint Keychain for those cute widdle piggies.
- Child Drawing Shrinky Dinks Keychains are so memoriable!
- Shrinky Dinks Zipper Pulls are another way to turn kids' art into a gift.
- Traced Handprint Shrinky Dink Keychains are great if you don't have the right paint.
- A Family Handprints Keychain is a great option for kids to make alongside their mom or grandma, rather than making it ahead.
- Make Harry Potter Shrinky Dink Keychains– or any other theme mom likes.
- This Full Body Photo Keychain looks like they're holding onto your keys.
RELATED: 20+ Funny Mother's Day Gifts That Will Make Her Smile
Shrinky Dink Bracelets Ideas
Charm bracelets are a super fun handmade jewelry gift that you can make using shrinky dinks. Click through these articles for inspiration and for a full tutorial:
- Shrinky Dinks Flag bracelet would be a perfect craft for school aged kids.
- If you didn't already look at Simply Kinder's 5 Shrink Film Gifts article above, check out their #1 Mom Bracelet.
- Here is a cute, kid-made shrinky film charm bracelet.
- Tweens, teens or adults who want to give a more polished gift can go for something like this Donut Charm Bracelet. The process she uses is a step up from your normal kid-made shrinky dinks.
Shrinky Dinks Earrings for Mother's Day
If the mom in your life wears fun earrings, she will love a handmade custom set from her favorite kiddo. Using hole punches, jump rings and earring hooks, you can easily turn shrinky dinks into earrings.
- I love these Shrinky Dink Rainbow Earrings, what a cheerful mother's day gift that would be.
- Using a whole punch to make round Shrinky Dinks Earrings is a super cool project for any age.
- Shrinky Dinks Doodle Earrings would be cool to make with kids who like coloring in coloring books. You could even trace designs out of coloring books.
Shrinky Dinkys Necklace Ideas
Shrinky Dink necklaces can really range from simple ones done by toddlers all the way to fancy, professional looking projects done by adults or teens.
- For a cool toddler-made project, check out these Abstract Shrinky Dinks Charms.
- Kids or adults of any age can make these easy Shrinky Dinks Pendants. Would be great for a class or group because you could pre-punch the circles.
- If you or your older kiddo has a cricut or silhouette you can add some extra touches to your shrinky dinks jewelry like this Shimmer Butterfly Necklace.
Other Fun Shrinky Dink Gifts
I know many people thing of the handprint keychains but there are really SO many other fun things to make from shrink film that would make awesome gifts.
- A Shrinky Dinks Suncatcher is a fun decor item to give mom.
- Make Shrinky Dink Flowers and glue them to craft sticks or pipe cleaners for a small bouquet or flower pot.
- Trace some fancy designs for these cool shrinky dinks bookmarks. I love the extra bead on the end of the ribbon.
- The sky is the limit with DIY Label Pins. I love the emoji ones they made but you could make any theme mom loves.
- For the wine-loving mom, you can even make her custom Shrinky Dinks wine charms!