Whether you are looking for your first Fitbit, shopping for a gift or trying to decide which one to upgrade to yourself, you have probably wondered, Which is the have probably tried to find out difference between the Fitbit Versa vs. Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Charge 3. Let's compare these three popular fitness trackers and figure out which one is right for you. This post uses direct affiliate links to products listed.
First thing first- If you are brand new to the world of fitness trackers and are wondering what even IS a fitbit and what does it do, be sure to read my Fitbit 101 post.
If you're wondering, “which is the Best Fitbit,” this article takes a look at Fitbit's flagship smartwatches, the Fitbit Versa and Fitbit Ionic and adds in their top billed fitness tracker, the new Fitbit Charge 3.
That is an important distinction between these three wristband style fitness trackers. The Fitbit Charge 3 has a lot of the same features but doesn't get labeled as a Smartwatch like the other two do. This really seems to translate to a black and white screen versus the color screen on Versa and Ionic, plus the ability to add third party apps.
Overview Comparing the Fitbit Versa to Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Charge 3
If I had to describe each of these in only a few words each, I'd describe them this way.
- Fitbit Ionic is the Top Athletic pick (check Fitbit Ionic Prices) Perfect for anyone who doesn't mind the sportsy look and wants to track more athletic activity than just steps and basic fitness. It is also the most expensive and has the most features. Although I used one and loved it for quite some time, I would say that Fitbit Ionic is my top pick for best fitbit for men.
- The Fitbit Versa is the best Lifestyle Pick (check Fitbit Versa Prices) Perfect for anyone who wants tons of features but needs to wear a fitness tracker in an office or dressier atmosphere. LalyDad wears his to the office with a metal Fitbit Versa band, but I'd say this one gets my top pick for Best Fitbit for Women. After using all three in this review, it is the one I wear the most.
- Fitbit Charge 3 seems to be a smaller, less expensive version of the Versa, but lacking a color screen and a couple other premium features. (Check Fitbit Charge 3 prices)
- I'd say Charge 3 is the best budget friendly PREMIUM fitness tracker, with Honorable mention Fitbit Inspire HR being the Best Entry Level Fitness Tracker. See my full Fitbit Inspire HR Review for the pros and cons.
There are so many similarities between Fitbits Smartwatches and Fitness trackers that it's hard to decipher what on earth makes one better than the other. We will get to that in a few minutes, but first let's talk about all the things these three trackers have in common.
Common Features of Fitbit Versa, Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Charge 3
Let's start by my all time favorite feature. These three Fitbits are WATERPROOF! Woohoo!
If it seems weird to celebrate that, it's because a lot of people don't know that Not All Fitbits Are Waterproof! I'm so glad Fitbit got the message on this, and seems to be making all their new release trackers waterproof. I hope it stays that way.
Okay where else do these fitness trackers overlap? Let's take a quick bullet point list of features they have in common.
- Steps & Activity
- Calories Burned
- Floors Climbed
- Sleep Tracking & Silent Alarm
- Sleep Stages (Light, Deep, REM)
- Female Health Tracking
- Guided Breathing Sessions
- Reminders to Move
- Hourly Activity
- Swim Tracking
- Multi-Sport Tracking
- Heart Rate Tracking
- Cardio Fitness Level
- Call Notifications
- Text Notifications
- Smartphone App Notifications
- Quick Replies (android only)
- Calendar Alerts
- Makes Payments***
- Customizable Clock Face
RELATED: Did you know there is a WaterProof Fitness Tracker Ring?!
Where Fitbit Ionic, Fitbit Versa and Fitbit Charge 3 Differ
Features Where Fitbit Versa, Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Charge 3 Differ:
- Size and Screen Size – The largest of the three (and the one with the largest screen) is Fitbit Ionic. Versa is a little smaller and looks very similar to an Apple Watch. Fitbit Charge 3 is the smallest of the three and has the smallest screen, it is also the only one of the three without a color display.
- Personalized On-Screen Coaching – Using Fitbit's Fitstar subscription, you can get workouts on your wrist using Versa and Ionic Only.
- GPS – This is the biggest difference, especially when weighing the Fitbit Versa vs. Fitbit Ionic. Fitbit Ionic has built in GPS which means you can head out and track your run without carrying your phone. Versa and Fitbit Charge 3 have connected GPS which means you need to carry your phone to utilize GPS pace and distance tracking.
- Apps – Add third party apps like starbucks and pandora on Ionic and Versa only.
- Stores Music – Store 300+ songs right on your device, connect via bluetooth headphones, only on Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Versa.
Best Prices on Fitbit Versa, Fitbit Ionic and Fitbit Charge
When comparing prices on Fitbits, overall the Fitbit Ionic is the most expensive of the three, then Fitbit Versa and the least expensive of these three models is the Fitbit Charge 3.
Prices fluctuate on all the Fitbit models due to seasonal sales like Black Friday but Fitbit sells on Amazon at the same price as on their own website. I tend to buy from Amazon since I also know I'll get super fast shipping.
Check Today's Fitbit Ionic Prices Here -Top choice for athletes and anyone who wants GPS without carrying your phone.
Check Today's Fitbit Versa Prices Here – Top choice for number of features (other than onboard GPS) and the ease of dressing it up or down.