How much fun do kids have with puppets?! A LOT! That's why I'm sharing 25 adorable finger and hand puppets to make with kids today! DIY Puppets make a great project as a gift or an activity to do with kids. I also have added some partner shopping links to premade puppets.
Puppets are a wonderful toy to fuel imaginative playtime. But they also get those hands moving, aid in vocabulary development and so much more.
Finger and Hand Puppets for Kids
Below is a collection of super fun finger puppets and hand puppets to make with the kids. These can be used on a rainy day, as a fun craft for a classroom or homeschool themed unit or as a pack-n-play activity for babysitters.
Some of these little guys are inspired by movies, while others are straight out of classic kids books and nursery rhymes.
Click through your favorite DIY Puppets below for the full materials list and puppet project:
Bug & Animal Puppets:
- Itsy Bitsy Spider Finger Puppet – This would be fun for Itsy Bitsy story day, spider anatomy day or even Halloween.
- Pouch Cap Bug Finger Puppets – If your kids suck down as many applesauce pouches as mine do, you can make an army of these. Bees, ladybugs, butterflies, etc.
Wooden Spoon LadyBug Puppets – Perfect for spring or summer Ladybug themes, insect days, polka dots or color themes.
- Five Little Frogs Finger Play Gloves – Toddlers and preschoolers will love these finger play gloves that make story time or circle time extra silly.
- Felt Parrot Puppet Craft – Sqwak! Polly want a cracker! These are fun for animal themes, pirate days or bird units.
Recycled Dog And Cat Puppet Craft – It's raining cats and dogs! Perfect for pet themes, vet pretend play and animal play.
DIY Penguin Puppet – These would add so much fun to a winter theme!
- Recycled stick Puppets – Cute idea for Groundhogs Day, learning about ground dwelling animals or just a cute recycled craft.
- Wooden Spoon Bee Puppets – These would BEE so much fun for any spring, garden or pollinator theme.
- Monkey Paper Bag Puppets – I love a good ole' paper bag puppet and this tutorial is pretty easy to follow. Perfect for monkey theme, jungle days or just for fun.
Fun Familiar Character Handmade Puppets:
- How To Make Minion Stick Puppets – Who doesn't love a good minion?! Movie days can be a lot of fun when you add in puppets.
- Yoda Paper Bag Puppet – Star Wars fans, and Madalorian fans will love this guys. Perfect for birthday parties or May the 4th!
- Lorax Puppet – Make Dr. Seuss' birthday or Earth day extra fun by adding in some Lorax Puppets.
- 5 Little Pumpkins Finger Puppets – These guys are great for counting around Halloween and the fall, and pair great with the book of the same name.
- Monster Finger Puppets – More Monsters! We love monsters around here and you just can't go wrong with these guys.
- Olaf Sock Puppets – Do you want to build a snowmaaaan? ‘Cuz this one is so cute….. Got that song stuck in your head now? You're welcome! 😉
- Disney Frozen Puppets – With Frozen 2 coming out, these puppets never get cold- I mean old!
More DIY puppets ideas below the video, but I love these easy paper puppy puppets (say that ten times fast!) from Red Ted Art. They are one of my all time favorite places to find fun and east paper craft ideas for kids, by the way. Here is a list of fun Dog Crafts on Red Ted Art. See? Fun!
More Easy Puppet Ideas for Kids
Imaginary Creatures & Other Silly Homemade Puppets:
- Owl Puppet And Monster Face – This one has free printable pieces, just add the paper bag or plate.
- Peeps Puppet – Yes, like the Easter marshmallow candy! Make your own set for Easter!
- DIY Monster Sock Puppet – If only we had eleventy billion unmatched socks laying around somewhere….hmm….
- Paper Plate Monster Puppets – These are easily done by kids of any age, they can look silly, spooky or even kind of…abstract. 😉
- Paper Dragon Puppets – A simple bit of folding and cutting yields pretty awesome results for any dragon lover or castle theme.
- Easy Monster Puppets – Monsters allow for so much creativity, and now just around Halloween. They can be fun any day of the year.
- Bright Stanley Book Activity – Make these cute fishie puppets to go along with the book.
- Recycled stick Puppets – I love the secret ingredient in these repurposed character puppets. Could this be any easier?
There are more puppets below but first check out these pipe cleaner puppets from PBS kids are super fun to customize and the pipe cleaners help them stay on little fingers. Cute idea!
Not into DIY? There are lots of fun kids puppets on Amazon too!
Which Finger or Hand Puppets are you going to make today?