🖨 Noom Green Foods – List, Explanation & Ideas [PDF]
If you are on the Noom Weight Loss Program wondering what the Noom Food Colors mean, then you are in the right place. Today we are talking all about Noom Green food, including a Printable Noom Green Foods list. Since sharing my review of the Noom Weight Loss Program, I'm been a huge believer in their habits-based approach, and I share my Noom Referral link in my many posts about how I live by the Noom principles. I'm glad you are here and I look forward to supporting you on your journey.
If you are new to the Noom Diet, here is a quick overview. Noom is an app-based health and weight loss program that encourages breaking unhealthy habits and building new ones. They do this using short, daily lessons as well as a Green, Yellow, Red Food category system.
If you would like to get a free, printable 7-page Noom Foods List PDF packet, you can request it here.
Do I Need the Noom App If I Have the Noom Food Lists?
We need to get one thing straight. Having a list of foods alone will not help you lose weight for good.
You cannot follow ANY list of foods and keep weight off for the rest or your life without fixing the bad habits that got you your current results.
You know why?
- You can binge eat zero point foods on weight watchers
- You can stress eat low-carb foods on keto or atkins
- You can mindlessly eat at social gatherings when the special food on your list isn't available
- You can stop following any list of foods (even the Noom Foods list!) at any time and gain back the weight you lost
Having a Noom Food Colors List is NOT the same as doing the Noom Weight Loss Program.
Aside from the guidance you get from the Green, Yellow, Red Noom colors, the Noom Weight Loss Program also consists of:
- Short, Easy-to-Read, Daily “Habit Breaking” Lessons (This is really the most important aspect of the entire program)
- A Goal Specialist (formerly called a coach) for Weekly Progress Check-ins
- A Moderated Group for Questions, Discussion and Support
- Healthy Recipes Based on the Noom Red Yellow Green system
For those who are doing the Noom Program, here again is the link to get the free Noom Foods List Printable. It is a tool to use alongside your paid Noom program, not a substitute.
What Are Noom Green Foods? What Does That Mean?
Noom green foods are ones that will make you feel full on fewer calories. These are the least calorie-dense foods… in other words fewer calories per unit of weight. These foods are full of healthy nutrients, like fruits, vegetables, whole grains and non-fat dairy.
If you want to do the math yourself to determine if a food is a green food, yellow food or red food, the Noom Density Formula is as follows:
Calorie Density= Calories per serving/Grams per serving (ie. Calories divided by grams)
The Noom system breaks it down into easy to use color categories, like a stop light, as follows.
|Solid Foods||Low CD (<1)||Medium CD (1 < x < 2.4)||Higher CD (2.4 < x)|
|Liquids||Low CD (<0.4)||Medium CD (0.4 < x < 0.5)||Higher CD (0.5 < x)|
|Soups||Low CD (<0.5)||Medium CD (0.5 < x < 1.0)||Higher CD (1.0 < x)|
However, unlike with a stop light where red means STOP, red foods are not actually off limits.
REPEAT! Red Foods Are NOT Off Limits. There is a daily ratio of red : yellow : green calories, but red foods are part of every single day.
I have a whole Noom Red Foods article about how Noom helped me to ENJOY my favorite treats as a part of a healthy lifestyle.
It has been so freeing!
Noom Green Foods List
The Noom Food database in the app has nearly 200,000 food items you can look up by simply typing it in, scanning the barcode or look up the meals at over 850 restaurants and chains.
This isn't an exhaustive list of green foods, there are SO many more than this, and in fact many more listed on my Free Printable Noom Food Lists.
Below is a sample of Noom Green Foods, or low-calorie density foods. When planning your daily foods, Green foods should make up around 30% of your daily calorie budget on the Noom Diet (the Noom app makes this really easy to see).
- Fruits: Apples, Blueberries, Bananas, Cherries, Peaches, Pears, Strawberries, Watermelon
- Vegetables: Bell Peppers, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Carrots, Corn, Cucumber, Green Beans, Lettuce, Onion, Peas, Salad Greens, Spinach, Sweet Potatoes, Tomatoes,
- Non-fat Dairy: Non-fat Greek Yogurt, Egg Whites
- Whole Grains: Brown Rice, Quinoa, Whole Grain Bread, Whole Grain Pasta
- Some Seafood: Grilled white fish, grilled shrimp
Noom Yellow Food List
Noom Yellow foods are in the mid-range of calorie density and make up the largest recommended portion of your daily calorie intake.
This is a general list, be sure to consult the Noom database within the Noom App for your specific item.
- Lean Meats, Dairy & Proteins: Chicken, Turkey Breast, Lean cuts of Pork, Lean cuts of Beef, less lean seafoods like Salmon
- Low Fat Dairy: Low-fat cheese, Cottage Cheese, Low-fat Yogurt, Low-fat Milk
- Unexpected foods that are often yellow: Avocados, White Pasta, White Rice, Couscous, Popcorn, Hummus (although check the brand, some are Red due to more olive oil or other ingredients)
Noom Red Foods
Grab a copy of my 7 page printable Noom Food Lists (which includes a Red Foods List).
What are Noom Red Foods? They are the most calorie dense. They have more calories per bite than other, more healthy foods.
For the most part, they are exactly what you expect red foods to be- other than Off Limits.
Be sure to read my Noom Red Foods Article about how the Noom mentality actually HELPS me enjoy my favorite red foods, even with a calorie deficit, unlike every other diet out there.
- Fatty Cuts of Meat: Bacon, Less Lean cuts of Beef and Pork, Salami, Sausage
- Full Fat Dairy: Full-fat Cheese, Feta Cheese
- Nuts & Nut Butters: Almond, Cashew, Peanut Butter
- Desserts & Snack Foods: Cake, Pizza, Cookies, Fries, Potato Chips, Regular Soda, Hamburgers, Candy, Chocolate
- Oils and Many Condiments: Mayonnaise, Olive Oil, Butter
So Now that you understand the basics of Noom Green Foods, Yellow Foods and Red Foods, take the Noom Quiz to see your Custom Weight Loss Program and get started today!
Want More Noom Resources?
- An Honest Noom Review (Plus Results and One Year Update)
- Tips for the First Week of Noom
- Noom Red Foods
- Noom & Alcohol: Can You Drink While On Noom?
Looking to Lead a Healthy Lifestyle? Don't Miss These Articles:
- 50 Doable Ways to Break Out of a Sedentary Lifestyle
- 20+ Ways to Make Walking Fun
- 20+ Workouts for a True Beginner
- Highly Recommended Books, Audiobooks and Podcasts for a Healthy Lifestyle
- Meal Delivery Kits When You're Trying to Lose Weight
- 35+ Easy But Healthy Breakfast Ideas
- 120+ Non-Food Rewards for When You Hit Your Weight Loss Goals
- 4 Workout Programs for Injury Recovery and Prevention
Which Noom Green Foods are Your Favorites? Let's Hear them in the comments below!